Welcome to the La Vie en Rose Earflap CAL. in this series we will be crocheting a simple winter hat with earflaps for babies, kids, and women.
Below are the supplies you’ll need as well as the stitches you’ll be using for the easy La Vie en Rose Earflap Hat crochet-a-long tutorial.
The crochet pattern instructions for each part of the hat are linked at the bottom of this post, so keep scrolling down if you want to learn how to make a cute ski hat!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase something using these links a small percentage of the sales price goes to me. However, you do not pay any extra for the item you purchase.
- 3.75 mm (F) hook for 3-6 mos, and 9-12 mos
- 4mm (G) hook for 6-9 mos, toddler, child, and adult sizes
- Approximately 100-200 yards of worsted weight yarn (or Aran for those of you in the UK), depending on the size chosen. I used less than one skein of Red Heart Super Saver per hat.
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Optional: Clover Large Pom-pom Maker. If you do not have a pom-pom maker, you can search YouTube for videos on alternate ways of making a pom-pom.
- You can also choose to create a faux fur pompom using a scrap of fabric and a piece of stuffing. See instructions in part 3 of the CAL.
Stitches Used (American terms):
- sl st = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- FPdc = front post double crochet
- sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
- hdc in the 3rd loop = Look at the top of the stitch, and locate the sideways “V”, bend the stitch to look at the back*, and you should see another “V”. You’ll be working into the back loop of that “V”, this is called the 3rd loop.
- Shell stitch = 5 dc in the specified stitch.
- Using a different yarn than what I recommend may cause the measurements to be different. Please follow gauge (it will be listed in part 1), and adjust your hook accordingly if necessary.